The fundamental aims and objectives of the Association as stated in the ANA constitution which was last reviewed in 2012 are as follows:
- To encourage and promote Nigerian literature.
- To encourage the collection, recording and transcription of all oral literature.
- To promote the interest of authors in all that concerns their profession and well-being and to protect their rights as authors.
- To encourage the commitment of authors to the ideals of a humane and egalitarian society.
- To co-operate with other organizations in Nigeria, Africa and elsewhere, which share similar aims and aspirations.
- To liaise with all organizations established for the promotion and development of the book industry throughout the country.
- To stimulate and develop indigenous talents, skills and intellectual powers.
- To promote solidarity among Nigerian authors.