April 07, 2020
THE ANA SITUATION: A DIRECTIVE FROM THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES TO ANA ADVISORY COUNCIL, PROF JERRY AGADA COMMITTEE AND ALL ANA MEMBERS.
The ANA Board of Trustees has viewed with dismay the act of indiscipline of a deviant group which purportedly elected what it called a 'new ANA Executive' at Abuja on Saturday, March 7, 2020. This unconstitutional action is outrageous and must be ignored by all responsible members of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA). The Board of Trustees is aware of the need for ANA to have a duly elected EXCO after the botched election at the Enugu Convention in October/November 2019. The Board of Trustees commends the ANA Advisory Council for its efforts towards a resolution of the impasse following the path of the ANA Constitution, by the establishment of the Prof. Jerry Agada Committee to organize and conduct the election of the next ANA EXCO to direct the affairs of the Association.
I write, therefore, on behalf of the Board of Trustees to state and direct as follows:
• The Board of Trustees fully endorses the ANA meeting scheduled for March 28, 2020 in Makurdi for the purpose of duly electing a new EXCO to direct the affairs of ANA.
• The Professor Jerry Agada Committee is mandated to proceed with the Makurdi 28, 2020 Emergency General Meeting for the purpose of conducting the election of a new ANA EXCO.
• The ANA EXCO elected in Makurdi shall take over from the last EXCO headed by Denja Abdulahi.
• All the participants in the unconstitutional act in the purported ANA election at Abuja are hereby barred forthwith from participating in any ANA activities and events till further notice.
• All the participants in the unconstitutional act in the purported ANA election at Abuja are barred from nominating anybody or being nominated themselves for any office at the Makurdi March 28, 2020 elections.
• The watchword for the new ANA EXCO must be 'accountability' at any point in time to the ANA membership and ANA official hierarchy in the execution of their official duties and responsibilities.
• The integrity and dignity of ANA as envisioned by its 'founding fathers' must be respected at all times by all members of the Association.
• Any action by any member/s of ANA intended to compromise the integrity and dignity of ANA in contravention of the vision of the 'founding fathers' and/ or in violation of the Constitution of ANA, as evident in the charade and indiscipline displayed by the deviant group at Abuja in the purported meeting and election on Saturday March 7, 2020 shall attract appropriate severe disciplinary action including expulsion from the Association.
Prof. Ernest N. Emenyonu,PhD.
(For & On behalf of ANA Board of Trustees)
March 13, 2020